Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Simple Italian fare that is also impressive enough for company
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 slices prosciutto (italian dry cured ham)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 -2 egg, beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup cooking sherry (or red wine)
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- Chicken :.
- Place one slice of prosciutto on top of each chicken breast, and lightly burnish them with a meat mallet to adhere the prosciutto to the chicken.
- Dredge each chicken breast witht he prosciutto in the flour to coat it lightly.
- Dip each floured breast in the beaten egg to coat it thoroughly, then dredge it in the seasoned breadcrumbs to cover completely.
- Melt the butter and olive oil together in a large heavy skillet and cook the breaded chicken breasts until just cooked through, browning on both sides.
- Remove the chicken to a separate dish and keep warm.
- Deglaze the skillet with the sherry, and add the sage, salt and pepper. Allow the sherry to cook down some, the sauce should thicken from the flour and breadcrumbs left in the pan.
- Top each chicken breast with a slice of mozzerella cheese, and return them to the skillet to heat again.
- Plate each chicken breast with rice pilaf or a light pasta, and drizzle with the sherry sauce.