Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Original calls for skin-on, bone-in but I switched to boneless skinless to really make this low fat. Have served both ways...delicious either way. If I'm in a hurry I puree all veggies and garlic together.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon adobo seasoning (to taste)
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb small red potato, halved
- 8 ounces tomato sauce, spanish stlye, goya
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Pat dry chicken, season chicken with adobo, salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet, cook turning once, until browned, about 5 minutes; transfer to plate. Keep leftover oil in the pan.
- Using food processor, puree the onion. Add to the skillet along with the garlic, scrapping up any browned bits.
- Puree the red pepper and add to skillet with cumin and bay leaf. Increase heat to medium high and stir in potatoes, tomato sauce and 1 cup water. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken (skin side up if using); cover and simmer, stirring occasionaly until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 30 minutes depending on the chicken size.
- Discard bay leaf. Top with cilantro.