Recipe by MarieRynr
This recipe came in a book called "Comfort Food" that I got for Christmas, put out by Marks and Spencers. It's very easy to put together and delicious!
- 12 ounces plain flour, plus
- extra plain flour, for dusting
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces butter, diced,plus
- extra butter, for greasing
- 6 tablespoons cold water (about)
- milk, for brushing on top
- 250 ml chicken stock (9 fl. oz)
- 25 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks
- 3 1⁄2 ounces peeled potatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 3⁄4 ounces toasted hazelnuts, ground
- 2 3⁄4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- sift together the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Gradually stir in enough of the cold water to make a pliable dough.
- Knead lightly, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, bring the stock to a boil in a saucepan, reduce heat and add the chicken and potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cool for 25 minutes, then drain off the liquid and transfer the chicken and potatoes to a bowl.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Grease a 9 inch pie tin.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and on a floured work surface, roll out half the pastry to a thickness of 1/4 inch and use to line the tin.
- Spoon in the filling.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and use to make a lid.
- Brush the edge of the bottom crust with water and cover with the lid, trimming the edges.
- Cut two slits in the top to vent.
- Add decorative shapes made from the dough trimmings if you wish.
- Brush with milk and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve with a selection of freshly cooked vegetables.