Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
On a recent visit to Olive Garden, I tried their Chicken and Potato Florentine Soup and savored every bite. Later, I tried to order some for take out only to learn that it was no longer on their menu. I hoped that someone had created a copycat recipe. But my searching only revealed that others also loved this soup and were looking for a copycat recipe. I only had the soup once -- and that was several weeks ago. This is my attempt.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 6 fresh basil leaves, cut in thin strips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 3 ounces spinach leaves, torn in pieces
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 ounces whipped soft cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat butter and olive oil in Dutch oven. Add onion and garlic; saute until translucent.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes, basil, sugar, Italian seasoning, paprika and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes. Add to tomatoes and simmer 30-40 minutes, until potatoes are almost tender.
- Add chicken and spinach. Simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Blend 2 cups of soup with half and half and cream cheese. Pour into Dutch oven; blend and heat through.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar.