I had this at a food and wine pairing class. It went very well with Prazo de Roriz - Duoro (Portugal) and Castano - Hecula, Yecla (Spain)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs whole chickens, breast on the bone
- 1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, quartered
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and halved lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 large celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Hass avocado, halved lengthwise pitted and sliced lengthwise 1/8 inch thick
- 6 pitted kalamata olives, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick
- 3 1/2 ounces farmer's cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup alfalfa, radish or 1 cup broccoli sprouts
- 1Put the chicken breast in a medium saucepan of boiling water, reduce the heat to low and simmer until cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- 2Transfer the chicken breast to a bowl and let rest for 15 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil.
- 4Salt the water and simmer over moderately high heat until tender, about 25 minutes.
- 5In a small saucepan, cover the yellow pepper and jalapeño with water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately high heat until tender, about 8 minutes.
- 6Drain and transfer to a blender.
- 7Add the lime juice and puree.
- 8When the potatoes are done, drain in a colander, then return to the saucepan.
- 9Shake the potatoes over high heat for about 15 seconds to dry them out.
- 10Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes well, then mash in the olive oil. Stir in the pepper puree and season with salt and pepper.
- 11Discard the skin and bones from the chicken. Cut the chicken into 1/4-inch pieces and transfer to a bowl.
- 12Stir in the mayonnaise, celery and red onion and season with salt and pepper.
- 13Line an 8-inch springform pan with plastic wrap.
- 14Spread half of the mashed potatoes in the bottom and partway up the side of the pan. Spread the chicken salad over the potatoes. Spread the remaining potatoes over the chicken and smooth the top.
- 15Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until lightly chilled, about 1 hour.
- 16Carefully remove the ring from the pan and peel back the plastic wrap.
- 17Using 2 wide spatulas, transfer the cake to a serving plate.
- 18Smooth the side if necessary.
- 19Garnish the cake with the sliced avocado in a fan shape.
- 20Sprinkle the olives, cheese and sprouts over the top.
- 21Using a sharp knife, cut the cake into wedges and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Potato Cake
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 534.1
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 69.1 mg
- Sodium 429.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 19.3 g