Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Bon Appetit.
Make and share this Chicken and Pork Stew With Plantains and Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 3 green plantains
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork spareribs or 1 1⁄2 lbs pork butt, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 very large green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 lb red potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 ears corn, cut into 1 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Trim off plantain ends and cut 4 vertical slits in skin of each (do not cut into fruit). Microwave 1 minute at 50% power then pull off peel.
- Stir olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, cayenne pepper and allspice in large pot until paste forms. Mix in meats. Cook over high heat until meats are no longer pink outside, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add plantains, broth, tomatoes with juice, onions, pepper and vinegar. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add potatoes and corn to pot.Cover; simmer 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Top with cilantro.