Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Homestyle Filipino Cooking.
- 1 lb pork belly
- 1 roasting chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 head garlic, cloves crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups vinegar (preferably cane white vinegar found in the Asian store)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- Put pork belly and chicken in a large casserole dish. Sprinkle garlic over pork and chicken. Combine vinegar and water and pour into casserole. Do not use an aluminum casserole dish as the aluminum will react to the vinegar.
- Bring to a boil without stirring. When mixture boils, lower heat to simmer and add bay leaf, if using. Add salt and allow to simmer until meats are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from casserole, reserving any liquid.
- In a wok, heat oil and brown the pork and chicken in batches. Remove from oil as pork and chicken browns and arrange in a serving dish.
- Blend together soy sauce and reserved liquid. Pour over chicken and pork. Serve with hot rice and chopped tomatoes.