Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Pineapple curry is very popular in Sri lanka. Here is a recipe that uses chicken, pine apple, coconut milk and yogurt to make a super curry. This is a dish we have often as it's not too hot for first timers to a curry, ( not us but visitors).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cubed
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 100 ml plain yogurt
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 150 ml coconut water
- 75 ml coconut milk
- 150 g pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Mix together the curry powder, chilli powder, lemon juice and yogurt. Marinate the chicken in this mix for 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a pan and fry the onion till light brown. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Strain the water from a tin of coconut milk, save the solids for later. Add the milk to the pan,cover pan and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk solids and stir till it melts.
- Add the pineapple cover pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the chopped coriander leave and a vegetable dish and rice.
Very nice combination of the coconut, curry and the pineapple.I used one cup of coconut milk as it is in step 4 cause I couldn't see the point of separating the water from the solids. oh, I added 3 tbsp of grated coconut in step 4 and it turned out great.
Excellent! I will definitly be making this again. We grilled the chicken seasoned with currie powder and chilli powder instead of marinating and cooking in the pan and it turned out really well.
A mild curry, great for people who are new to this style of cooking :)