Recipe by kimberley Heaphy
A wonderful recipe that tantalizes the taste buds. Sweet, tart and slightly salty, though a relatively low calorie meal, it is very satisfying. Easy to prepare and enjoyed by all family and friends.
- 1 white onion
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 -2 green pepper (use 2 if small)
- 1 -2 red pepper (use 2 if small)
- 1 -2 large carrot
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom
- 1 (8 ounce) cansweetened pineapple chunks (reserve juice)
- 3 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken and bell peppers and onions into bite size pieces.
- Slice carrots into 1/4 inch disks.
- Grated (or minced) ginger (grating is easily done when ginger is frozen).
- Slice Mushrooms.
- Mix together reserved pineapple juice, water, chicken bouillon and soya sauce.
- Heat to a boil on stove top or in microwave.
- Mix the vinegar and cornstarch together in a small container.
- Set aside.
- While waiting for the sauce to boil, saute onions and ginger for one minute, add chicken.
- Cook until pink colour is gone.
- Add remaining vegetables including pineapple pieces.
- Stir fry until tender crisp.
- Once pineapple juice mixture comes to a boil, add vinegar/cornstarch mixture to it.
- Heat (stirring occasionally) until thickened.
- Add pineapple juice mixture to vegetables and mix thoroughly.
- Serve plain or on rice.
- Note: Other vegetables such as brocolli, snow peas and bean sprouts can be added or substituted in this recipe.
- Note: If using unsweetened pineapple, add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to pineapple/bouillon mixture.