- 4 slices finely chopped bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons sofrito sauce (recipes on food.com)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) canspanish style tomato sauce (like Goya brand)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can pigeon peas, drained (gandules)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon, onion and sofrito sauce base in large skillet on medium-high heat 5 minute or until bacon is almost crisp. Add chicken to skillet; brown on all sides.
- Stir tomato sauce and broth into skillet; bring to boil. Add rice and pigeon peas. Bring to boil; cover.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.