Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Inspired by the traditional dishes (Peleau) of Trinidad and Tobago. From Kraft.
Make and share this Chicken and Pigeon Peas Skillet Dinner recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices finely chopped bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons sofrito sauce (recipes on food.com)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) canspanish style tomato sauce (like Goya brand)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can pigeon peas, drained (gandules)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon, onion and sofrito sauce base in large skillet on medium-high heat 5 minute or until bacon is almost crisp. Add chicken to skillet; brown on all sides.
- Stir tomato sauce and broth into skillet; bring to boil. Add rice and pigeon peas. Bring to boil; cover.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.