Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I created years ago. It is very elegant looking, yet so simple.
Make and share this Chicken and Peppers in Phyllo recipe from Food.com.
- 2 red bell peppers (or green)
- 4 -5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 6 ounces chevre cheese or 6 ounces feta cheese
- Broil peppers on all sides until black and blistered. When they're cool enough to handle, peel, halve and seed, and drain on paper towels. (Or use bottled roasted red peppers.).
- Heat oven to 350º.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Put a sheet of phyllo on a work suface and brush with butter.
- Put a second sheet across the bottom of the first to form an upside-down T. Brush with butter.
- Put a third sheet on top of first, and brush with butter.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of bread crumbs centered near the bottom over an area the size of one chicken breast.
- Put a chicken breast on top, sprinkle with lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon tarragon and salt and pepper.
- Top with pepper half and crumbled cheese.
- Fold over the bottom of dough. Fold in sides and roll, brushing with butter.
- Place on cookie sheets.
- Repeat for a total of four phyllo packages.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until brown.
We had a debate with this one :) As a result I am giving 4*. I used roasted red peppers from a jar and feta cheese. The family enjoyed them but the man of the house would have liked a sauce to serve over them. (Men!!!) That said, I will certainly make again and have added recipe to my keepers file. :)