Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Make and share this Chicken and Pepper Stir Fry With Basil recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb chicken thighs (into strips or slivers) or 1 lb chicken breast, sliced (into strips or slivers)
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 -3 Thai red chili peppers or 1 -3 jalapeno, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (sweet or Thai varieties are both okay)
- 1 tablespoon high oleic safflower oil, for stir frying
- fresh lime juice (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of high oleic safflower oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add the shallots.
- Cook the shallots until they are translucent and soft, about 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and add the chicken, bell peppers, grated ginger, minced garlic, ground pepper, and sliced chilies.
- Continue to stir fry until the chicken is nearly cooked through, about 2 minutes, then add the sauce.
- Cook for another minute and the sauce will thicken. Add more soy sauce or salt if you need to.
- Stir in the fresh basil at the end.
- Squeeze a little lime juice on top if you have some limes on hand.
Even though I changed it, this is still a 5 star recipe. As my fish sauce was missing in action, I added about a teaspoon of five spice powder. Rather than using regular basil, I used cinnamon basil. This really turned out well. Thank you for posting!