Can also use broccoli in place of asparagus for those that don't like it. My 3 year old grandson gobbles this up. I had tried something similar in a restaurant that was to die for, so found something similar and changed it to my tastes.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 -4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 2⁄3 cups penne rigate, uncooked
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- In 5 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; add chicken.
- Cook until no longer pink.
- Add broth; heat to boiling.
- Add uncooked pasta and pepper, stirring to coat pasta with liquid.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover; simmer 7 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Add asparagus, continue to cook another 7 minutes or until pasta is tender and most liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir together soup, milk and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese until smooth; stir into chicken mixture.
- Heat until mixture just comes to a boil; sprinkle with remaining cheese.