Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I have made this recipe using bone-on chicken pieces also, although you might have to adjust the cooking time slightly. I double the crushed tomatoes to two cans when I make this, but that is optional, my family loves this casserole!
- 4 -5 tablespoons olive oil (or as needed0)
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 large bay leaf
- 10 ounces dry penne pasta (cooked to JUST firm-tender and drained, can use more if desired)
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (can use less)
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (can use more or less)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then brown on both sides about 5 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Add in onion, garlic, oregano, basil and crushed red pepper flakes; saute about 5 minutes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, stewed tomatoes with juice, wine, sugar and bay leaf; cook for about 35-40 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
- Line the bottom of the dish with cooked penne pasta, sprinkle the top with about 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange the browned chicken pieces on top of the cooked pasta.
- Remove bay leaf and spoon the sauce over the chicken covering chicken and pasta completely.
- Mix the mozzarella cheese with 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle over the top of the sauce.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and the sauce is bubbly.