Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is so good and simple to make. I take this to picnics under the stars at outdoor concerts here in my area. Hence the name given to this chicken salad by my family and friends. Can be made ahead which I like. Cook time is actually chill time.
- 4 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 cup mushroom, fresh sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red peppers or 1⁄2 cup green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecan halves or 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces
- 4 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise or 1 cup salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- lettuce leaf
- 3 -4 pieces pita bread, cut in halves
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, celery, mushrooms, red or green pepper, pecans and bacon.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise and lemon juice.
- Add to chicken mixture; toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover; chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- Serve in lettuce-lined pita or on salad plates.
This is a wonderful chicken salad. I made it just as written with one change and two additions. I used yogurt cheese, Recipe #77269 rather than sour cream, added some apsparagus because I had it and it needed to be used and added a chopped apple because I liked the crunchy sweetness it added. We enjoyed it it over mixed lettuce and spinach. I think it would make a great sandwich. We'll find out tomorrow; if Dh leaves the leftovers alone tonight.