This one's a real winter-warmer and the grains give slow-release energy. The wonder of this soup is the fact that half of it is blended, so it's a lot creamer than most barley soups.
- Heat the oil and saute the leeks, carrot, garlic and celery until starting to soften.
- Dice up the chicken and add to the vegetables, fry for another couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked barley and broth and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour half the soup into a food processor and blend until smooth, then return to the pot and add the chopped parsley.
- Season to taste and serve.
A hearty bowl of soup that hits the spot on a cold winter day.