Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a Michael Chiarello recipe that came with a Progresso coupon I downloaded online. Have yet to try it. I have never heard of acini di pepe pasta, but the recipe says you can use 8 oz of any small round pasta. Also I don't know what mustard greens are or how to use them. The recipe mentioned that spinach, Swiss chard or other greens could be used instead.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (32 ounce) cartons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup acini di pepe pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups mustard greens, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Place chicken in 12 inch skillet. Add 1 carton of broth and heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut.
- Meanwhile, in 5 quart stockpot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery.
- Cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender.
- Drain chicken, reserving broth and set chicken aside.
- Strain broth and add to vegetables.
- Stir remaining carton of broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper and bay leaf into stockpot and heat to boiling.
- Stir in pasta. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Shred or cut chicken into bite size pieces and add to soup.
- Stir in greens just until wilted and remove bay leaf.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.