Recipe by bluemoon downunder
A tasty frittata which can be served warm with crusty rolls and a salad or at room temperature at picnics,for take-to-work lunches or in school lunchboxes. Adapted from a recipe I found in the May 2006 issue of the Australian magazine 'super food ideas'.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
WONDERFUL TASTING FRITTATA! I made this according to the recipe (Well, I did use lemon pepper instead of the S&P!) & then added one final thing ~ Served it with a bowl of mild chunky salsa & we each used as much as we wanted on top! Very, very nice, & the recipe's a real keeper! [tagged, made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hit Wonders]
- 2 cups dried macaroni noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onions (for Australians) or 1 yellow onion, finely chopped (for Americans)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 1 small red pepper, finely diced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 8 eggs
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following the packet directions, until tender; drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over a medium heat; add the onion, garlic and carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft; add the red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for 1 minute; then transfer the contents of the pan to a large bowl.
- Add the chicken, thyme, parmesan, parsley and pasta to the onion mixture; whisk the eggs in a large jug and add them to the pasta mixture; stir until well-combined and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over a medium heat and add the pasta mixture to the hot pan; reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the contents of the pan for 8-10 minutes or until the frittata has set around the edges. The centre should still be slightly soft.
- Preheat a grill on a medium heat and place the pan under the grill; cook the frittata for 4-5 minutes or until it is golden and set.
- Cut into wedges and serve with crusty rolls and a salad.