Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Colourful and tasty dish.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb tomatoes, peeled and chopped (canned are fine)
- 1 green capsicum, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 10 ounces long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree (or juice from can)
- 1 liter chicken stock
- oil, for browning
- Heat the oven to 350 degree F/180 degrees C.
- Strip the leaves from the oregano.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pot or casserole that can go in the oven.
- On top of the stove brown the chicken.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Lower the heat, add the onion, garlic and capsicum.
- Cook until soft.
- Stir in the paprika and cook very gently, stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring until the rice is slightly translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the oregano, tomatoes, puree, chicken stock and the chicken breasts.
- Cover and cook in the oven about 20-25 minutes, until the rice is cooked and the chicken is tender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Slice chicken breasts and serve on top of the rice.
Great company (unexpected) chicken and rice!!and reasonable quick too. I only had chicken breast halves and used the very last of the oregano from the garden, also used the juice from the canned tomatoes instead of the puree, as suggested. The company gave it rave reviews! it was very good,the paprika gave it all such a nice colour, served with lemon sauced brocolli, which seemed to compliment it. Thanks for sharing!!