Recipe by bshemyshua
This is reported to be a Shaker recipe. If you like hot pie, this is as rich and smooth as they come.
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups chopped shucked raw oysters
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 unbaked pie crusts
CREAM SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups light cream (single cream) or 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Begin by making cream sauce. In a small sauce pan melt butter over medium heat.
- Blend in flour with a whisk stirring to work out lumps and cook for 2 minutes.
- Blend in dry mustard.
- Slowly add cream or half and half whisking all the while. Continue stirring until this begins to thicken, but do not boil, reduce heat temperature if necessary to keep from scorching.
- Continue to cook and stir 2-3 minutes until thickened, and smooth.
- Remove from heat, set aside covered while you prepare pie.
- For pie: Combine chicken and oysters and spread in first pie crust.
- Drizzle butter over, then season with salt and pepper.
- Pour prepared cream sauce over chicken and oysters.
- Cover with second pie crust and seal edges with a fork, cut a crisscross vent hole in center top crust for steam.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 35-40 minutes.
- Pies that are allowed to set for 15 minutes or so will set up a little for slicing.