Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
This dish contains equal amount of onions and chicken, it is gently spiced and has little or no gravy. It should be served with hot tandoori roti or chapatti. Yield and times are estimated. SEE NOTES at bottom of recipe instructions.
- 500 g chicken pieces
- 500 g onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 -3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 -3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 5 -6 tablespoons thick whole milk Greek yogurt (Greek is great!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 4 -5 green cardamoms, crushed or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Fry onions and garlic until golden brown.
- Add chicken and fry on high heat, until it is nicely brown all over.
- Mix all spices and salt in yogurt and add this mix to the chicken.
- Cook until chicken is tender. You cook it in pressure cooker in 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with Nan or Tandoori Roti or Chapatti.
- *** You can add 2 tbs. dry methi (fenugreek) leaves, also known as kasoori methi, while you are frying onions. It gives the dish a different flavor.
- *** Tips for cooking with yogurt: Always use full fat yogurt, if possible. Skimmed milk yogurt sometimes curdles during cooking. If you wish to use low fat yogurt, add 1 heaped teaspoon of plain or corn flour per cup of yogurt.
- *** Make sure that the dish you are cooking is at room temperature. If yogurt is cooked straight from the fridge, it may curdle.
- *** When adding yogurt during cooking, take out a few tablespoons of the hot food in a bowl, mix yogurt, warming it a bit and then stir it back into the hot dish.
- *** Substitute sour cream for yogurt, using only half the amount.