Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is truly a comfort dish. The dumplings really make the dish special. Your hungry crowd with love it.
- 6 quarts water
- 1 whole roasting chicken (small)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Season-All salt
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles
- 1 (10 ounce) package mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups chicken broth
- dumplings (see my dumpling Dumplings)
- Bring to a boil in a large kettle 6 qts water, add salt and spices.
- When the water is boiling add chicken, celery, onion, garlic and vinegar and Worcestershire.
- Cover and cook at least 1 hour.
- Remove chicken and set aside to cool.
- Remove broth from heat.
- Cooke noodles in a pot of boiling, lightly salted water. Cook according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- When the chicken is cool, clean off skin and bones and shred meat.
- Salt and pepper meat and set it aside.
- When broth is cool, skim off fat and discard.
- In a dutch oven or deep skillet, heat butter.
- Add flour and stir, adding small amounts of chicken broth to thicken.
- Add soup and 1 cup of chicken broth. Make your dumplings now.
- Add noodles, chicken and vegies.
- Cover and lower heat to simmer approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Add dumplings to the top of the dish and cover.
- Simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- If you don't have enough broth to cook dumplings add more broth.
- Put the remaining broth into freezer containers and freeze for use later.
This recipe is truely amazing!! I made it tonight and followed the directions mostly, including the dumplings. The only thing I changed was that I did not add the noodles for the whole 25 min. I added them when I added the dumplings.(for 10 min.) Speaking of dumplings I swore them off for life about 6 months ago... but I caved when I read the reviews. They were perfect. I will always refer to this dumpling recipe!! This dish is yummy!!!!
This turned out tasty and my family liked it -- even my picky eater. But I had some problems with the directions: 1) Do you cook the noodles before adding them with the chicken? If you don't there isn't enough broth to cook them. I half cooked them in the broth then added them. 2) When to cook the dumplings? Cooking them before cutting up the meat seems awfully early. There is plenty of time after you put everything in the dutch oven. Do you cook them in the leftover broth then tranfer them to the dutch oven?