Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This dish = comfort food. No doubt about it. Just ask your mother. She will cuddle you and fix you up with a bowl right away...
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons diced pimentos or 3 tablespoons diced roasted red peppers
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 2 lbs cooked boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) package kluski noodles, cooked al dente (egg noodles o.k.)
- 2⁄3 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat butter in large pan; stir in flour, mixing well., then add seasonings. Stir in broth and milk, stirring constantly; season with salt and pepper to taste; add pimientos. Stir until mixture thickens, then remove from heat.
- Place vegetables, cooked chicken, and cooked noodles in a 2quart baking dish. Pour sauce over and stir to mix in; sprinkle breadcrumbs over all. Dot with butter, if desired.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden and bubbly.
I loved this. To me it was yummy. I love chicken flavored dishes.
Very good and easy to make comfort food. Thanks for sharing!
This is a classic comfort meal. I made some variations without changing the integrity of the recipe. I subbed tarragon as the herb because we like it. I used only peas as a veggie, and it came out great. The Kluski noodles are mandatory...... Regular egg noodles just don't cut it. Finally, I added a can of cream of chicken soup with herbs (new from Campbells) at the end. Then I mixed some softened butter with the breadcrumbs before topping the casserole. Yum from all!