Recipe by Kevin Young
I first got this recipe from a cookbook called "The Czechoslovak cookbook" by Joza Brizova. I modified it a bit and added the noodles, but it's a really good recipe as long as cholesterol is not an issue to you :)
Top Review by schroomie
We really enjoyed this meal. I did not make the noodles, however. I just used boxed angel hair and that was good. I did not have sour cream so I used plain yogurt. I also added a few peas for color.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and 1/4 tsp salt on a pastry board and make well in the center.
- whisk eggs, milk, and oil in a bowl until well blended.
- Gradually pour egg mixture into the well in the flour while mixing with fingertips.
- Knead dough about 10 minutes or until it's elastic.
- Separate dough into three pieces and wrap with plastic wrap and allow to sit approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove dough and roll flat on lightly floured counter top as flat as possible without tearing.
- Using knife, pizza cutter, etc.
- Cut noodles about 1/4- 1/2 inch wide.
- Drop noodles into pot of salted boiling water and allow to cook about 10 minutes.
- Drain noodles and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- Cut chicken into small pieces and brown in the melted butter over medium high heat.
- Add onion to chicken and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, water, salt, and paprika and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover.
- Allow to simmer 45 minutes.
- Mix sour cream and flour together until smooth, then add to pan and mix until entire recipe is smooth.
- Add noodles and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit about 5 minutes or until sauce thickens to desired point.
- **This is actually my lazy way.
- If you're trying to impress, start the noodles during the 45 minute simmer time and have done about the same time as the chicken.
- Ladle the chicken and sauce over the warm noodles and garnished with chopped scallions.