Recipe by Brian Holley
Well flavored chicken curry. Easy to prepare and cook, the nuts give a different slant to this curry. Serve over cumin rice with a side dish of coconut milk laced with fruit.
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 ounces cashew nuts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon garlic, pulp
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 good chicken stock cube
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sultana
- 2 large chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 ounces button mushrooms
- 1⁄2 pint water
For the rice dish
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 ounce butter
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the side dish
- 5 fluid ounces coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1 apple, cored and in small dice
- 1 small tomatoes, in small dice
- 2 inches cucumbers, small dice
- 6 dates, in small dice
- 1 spring onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender process the onions, tomato puree, cashew nuts, garam masala,garlic, chilli powder,lemon juice, turmeric , chicken stock cube, salt and yogurt.
- Blend till smooth.
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat and fry the spice mixture for 3 minutes Add 1 tbsp of the coriander leaves and cook for 1 minute
- Add the chicken and sultanas and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and water, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 mins, or till the chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle the remaining coriander leaves over the top.
- Wash the rice and drain well.
- Melt the butter in a pot and fry the cumin seeds, when they start to pop add the rice and stir, fry for 2 minutes
- Add the water and salt, stir bring to the boil, reduce heat to minimum and cook covered for 18 minutes
- In the meantime mix the fruits into the coconut milk and season with salt to taste.
- Turn off the heat and allow the rice to stand for 10 mins, lift the lid and fluff up the rice with a fork.