Recipe by Crazy about Bunnies
Simply the smartest way to cook Tortellini, in the sauce! This is my 12 year old son's all time favourite recipe. It comes from Sandi Richard's Life's on Fire cookbook. As she assures, it might look watered down while you are cooking it, but it ends up just perfect when it is done. Creamy and delish!
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk, added to reserved mushroom liquid
- 4 cups cheese tortellini, uncooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken, onion and celery into bite-sized pieces, season with spices and put in large stove-top pot. Cook in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Drain mushroom liquid into a two cup measuring cup and add aproximately 11/2 cup milk to make 2 cups total - set aside.
- Add drained mushrooms, mushroom soup, chicken broth and reserved mushroom/milk mixture to pot. Stir constantly over medium high heat until mixture just boils.
- Add tortellini to pot, reduce heat to simmer. Stir often for 15 minutes.