Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
I've taken my favorite Beef Stroganoff and replaced the beef with chicken for a delicious new stroganoff made for modern times.
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup minced parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut in about 1/2 inch by 2 inch strips)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup high quality red wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock (you may use chicken stock instead, but the flavour won't be as rich)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces dry wide egg noodles
- sour cream
- 1 sprig Italian parsley
- Place a pot of water on the stove and bring to a simmer. Cover until ready to cook the noodles.
- To make the Parsley butter, in a food processor, combine the butter, garlic, parsley,s alt and sour cream. Process until smooth, then set aside.
- To cook the chicken, in a very large nonstick pan, heat 2 TBS of the olive oil over a medium high heat until hot. Add the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes, until the chicken is lightly browned on the outside and about 3/4 cooked. With a slotted spoon, remove the chicken from the pan to a plate and set aside, keeping the pan on the heat.
- Add the remaining 1 TBS oil to the pan, then add the onions and mushrooms. Stirring often, cook for 2 to 4 minutes, until the onions are tender. Add the wine, turn the heat up to high and cook until the wine is almost evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, mix together the Worcestershire, beef stock, and cornstarch until smooth. Add the mixture to the pan after the wine has evaporated, and bring to a boil. The sauce should thicken slightly.
- Stir in the 3/4 cup of sour cream, then add the reserved chicken. Cook until heated through.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the package directions until just tender. Drain well and place back in the cooking pot. Add the Parsley butter and stir until well coated.
- Divide the noodles among large individual pasta bowls and top with the chicken and sauce. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream and a parsley sprig.