Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Thick and hearty. Adapted from a recipe at allrecipes.com.
Make and share this Chicken and Mushroom Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄8 cup all-purpose flour (1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs cubed cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, heat broth to boiling. Add rice, cover and cook 15 minutes, until rice is almost, but not quite done.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and carrot and saute until onion is translucent and soft but not brown, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add flour and stir well. Cook until thick and pasty flavor is gone, about 3 minutes. Add milk, whisking constantly to eliminate lumps. Add mushrooms, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Add broth and rice to thickened milk, along with chicken. Stir thoroughly and simmer until chicken is hot and rice is fully cooked, about 5 minutes.