Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Amazing blend of flavors that will literally make your taste buds come alive! These ingredients came together after I cleaned the refrigerator and tried to use vegetables on hand, but the result was a soup that I will definitely make again.
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 1 leek
- 1⁄2 cup rosemary (I had a bit that we dried ourselves, seems to be more flavorful than the pre bottled type)
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (I used Mirin)
- 3 quarts chicken broth (*I used Pacific Natural Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth which has added sea salt, evaporated )
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white button mushrooms
- 4 stalks celery
- 6 -7 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- pepper (I used lavender pepper from pelindaba.com)
- Mince garlic; slice leek longways then chop.
- Place a standard dutch oven on the stovetop.
- Add a splash of olive oil, garlic, leek, and rosemary and saute over medium high heat for several minutes.
- Add white wine and stir gently for one minute.
- Add chicken broth, mushrooms, celery, tomatoes and barley and increase heat slightly. Stir occasionally until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Chop chicken into strips. Add a splash of olive oil to a frying pan and brown chicken on both sides. While chicken is cooking, season with pepper.
- Add chicken to soup mixture. Again bring mixture to a boil. After it reaches the boiling stage, reduce heat to simmer and partially cover.
- Cook approximately 30 minutes (stirring occasionally) to insure chicken is cooked through.