Prep 12 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
An adaptation, IMHO, a perfection of an old standard. Mom used to make her version in the morning, set the oven timer, and come home to a delicious meal. (Use frozen chicken if you do this.)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base (or a boullion cube)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (4 -6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups brown rice (not instant) or 2 cups white rice (not instant)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken parts (of any type, bone, skin, or not, frozen is assumed in cooking time)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease 3 quart (13x9x2 ideally) casserole with butter, save remaining.
- In a vessel than can hold and measure more than 4 cups, Mix Hot water with chicken base until dissolved.
- Add cream of mushroom soup.
- Add sliced mushrooms.
- Add water to measure 4 cups total.
- Stir mixture thoroughly.
- Add rice directly into mixture, mix well.
- Pour mixture into greased casserole.
- Press chicken into mixture in casserole until partially covered. (As much or as little as you can fit or want, the rice is great alone as well) I prefer 5-6 frozen chicken thighs.
- Distribute remaining butter over top of casserole.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 75 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Salt & Pepper to taste, if necessary.
- Optional: If chicken is boneless, cut chicken into pieces with kitchen shears while still in casserole. Stir and serve.