Recipe by animal lover
this one gets it right with the dash of chili powder, cumin, and cilantro, all inside the grilled tortilla.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 -2 cup chicken strips (try Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik'n Strips)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb assorted mushroom (try crimini, portobello, shiitake, or any other variety)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- 12 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded vegan monterey jack cheese (try Follow Your Heart brand)
- oil, the quesadillas (for cooking)
Directions See How It's Made
- •Heat the oil in a large sauté pan; add the strips and cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until browned and crispy. Remove from the oil and set aside.
- •Add the onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened.
- •Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté on medium-high heat for 8 minutes, or until the mushrooms have softened and released their liquid. (Note: You may add additional oil if the mushrooms become dry during cooking.).
- •Place the chili powder, cumin, salt, and cilantro in the pan and mix well; remove from the heat.
- •Lay out 6 tortillas and evenly spread the cooked mixture onto each tortilla. (Note: If there is residual liquid, pick the mushrooms up out of the liquid to prevent soggy quesadillas.).
- •Sprinkle the "cheese" on top, cover with the remaining tortillas, and brush the tops lightly with vegetable oil.
- •Heat a clean nonstick sauté pan and place one quesadilla at a time, oiled side down, into the heated pan. Brush oil on the dry side of the quesadilla.
- •Cook for 3 minutes, or until browned. Flip and cook the other side. Repeat until all the ingredients are used.
- •Cut each quesadilla into 4 segments and serve with salsa, guacamole, and vegan sour cream.
- Alternate Cooking Method: Oil both sides of the quesadillas, place on a cookie sheet, and cook in a preheated 375°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crispy.