Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Boneless chicken thighs give a moist result, but chicken breasts work well too. Mix wild mushrooms with cultivated button mushrooms for a deeper flavour. From February 2005 Issue of Bon Appetit. This pie is delicious!
- 1 (1/2 ounce) package dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup hot water
- 9 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 lb assorted fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup riesling wine or 3⁄4 cup other fruity white wine
- 2 ounces prosciutto ham, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 12 sheets fresh phyllo pastry
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless, skinned, excess fat removed, thighs quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Combine dried porcini and 1 cup hot water in a small bowl; let stand until porcini are soft, about 20 minutes. Drain porcini, reserving liquid.
- Melt 3 TBs butter in heavy large pot over medium high heat. Add fresh mushrooms and garlic; saute until mushrooms are browned, about 8 minutes. Add porcini, porcini soaking liquid (leaving any sediment behind), broth, wine, prosciutto, lemon peel, thyme, 1 teaspoons salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Reduce heat to medium low; simmer uncovered 20 minutes to blend flavours. Whisk cornstarch mixture to combine and add to skillet; stir until mixture thickens slightly, about 1 1/2 minutes. Season sauce to taste with more salt and pepper, if desired (can be prepared 1 day ahead, cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate).
- Preheat oven to 425*F. Melt 6 TBS butter in a small saucepan and remove from heat.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface. Brush phyllo sheet with some of melted butter. Using both hands, gently scrunch buttered phyllo sheet into loose ball, about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter; st on work surface. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and melted butter.
- Bring mushroom sauce to a boil. Mix in chicken and parsley. Transfer mixture to 13 X 9 X 2 inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Cover hot fillint with phyllo balls. Sprinkle Parmesan over. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350*F and bake until phyllo is golden and chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes longer.