Recipe by Fairy Nuff
This is a private recipe made public so that I could add it to a cookbook for my family. The notes pertain to my family. This is yummy but, Doug, you need to scoop the mushrooms out of Chris's piece and then mark his part. This is my own recipe made for my family.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and chopped
- 350 g chicken breast fillets, chopped
- 3 pieces bacon (rashers)
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter (melted or cooking spray for the pie plate)
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- heat the oil in a frying pan over a semi-low heat.
- add the onion, garlic and bacon and fry gently, stirring often, until the onion is transparent, place in a bowl.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the chicken, stirring frequently until browned, removed to a bowl.
- Return the onion mix to the pan adding the sliced mushrooms, cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the wine, stir and cook for a minute.
- Add the stock and simmer until reduced by half, stirring occassionally.
- Return chicken to pan, bring to boil and add pepper.
- Mix the cornflour with water and add it to the pan stirring until the sauce boils and thickens, add parsley and set aside to cool slightly.
- Heat oven to 220C and take two sheets of puff pastry out of the freezer, remove the blue plastic and put them on the bench to thaw.
- Spray the pie plate with cooking spray or brush it with melted butter, lay one sheet of pastry over the plate, tucking it down on the bottom and pushing it in on the sides.
- Add the chicken filling, remembering to not add mushrooms to Chris's piece, Put the other sheet of pastry over the top, press around the edges , mark Chris's piece with a C and then cut the excess pastry off by running a sharp knife around the rim.
- Use the excess pastry to decorate the pie. Press the edges down around the rim with a fork.
- Pierce the pie here and there with a fork.
- Beat the egg with the milk and then brush over the pie.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 190C and cook for 30-40 minutes.