Recipe by JackieOhNo!
These chicken and mushroom kotleti (Russian meat cakes) are so juicy and delicious. They’re healthier than the average chicken patty since they are loaded with mushrooms. These patties are perfect with mashed potatoes and pickles. You can also serve them as sliders (mini chicken burgers) – pickles on the side. You may also choose to wolf these down with a bowl of buttered noodles and a pickle. Part of the secret to juicer patties appears to be in the cooking method. Covering them while sautéing makes them turn out much juicier and the flavors meld together just right.
Top Review by WiGal
Awesome aroma was driving hubby nuts. Delicious! Mushrooms paired with ground turkey are perfect. Cut mushrooms tiny first then browned. Served as main dish (4 per serving) atop couscous medley. Thanks Jackie for posting. Made for Culinary Quest.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 lb button mushrooms or 1 lb cremini mushroom, sliced
- 1 small onion, grated on the large holes
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for the mushrooms plus more to saute patties
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 tsp pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup flour for dredging the meatballs
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute mushrooms over med/high heat until softened and lightly browned, then mince them in a food processor or put them through the meat grinder. You can also finely chop cooked mushrooms by hand if you’re feeling adventurous.
- In a large bowl, combine: 1 lb ground chicken, your cooked & finely chopped mushrooms, grated onion, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup bread crumbs and 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper (or to taste).
- Using an ice cream scoop, place one scoop of the mixture at a time into the flour, then dredge it on both sides and used your hands to create oval patties, tapping off excess flour. If you’re making sliders, make them round like mini burgers.
- 4. Heat 2-3 tbsp of oil in a nonstick skillet. Once oil is hot, add the fritters. Cover and cook until golden on both sides. Cook about 4 minutes on the first side and 2-3 minutes on the next. Wipe your skillet with a paper towel between batches and add more oil as needed. Remove to a plate and serve warm.