Recipe by CaribbeanQueen
I often like to make a less traditional lasagna and have found that chicken and mushrooms make a simple, delicious combination. The DH and I love spicy so I really crank up the heat by adding a bunch of crushed red pepper but this is not necessary for 'normal' people. Once in a while I like to add spinach to this. You could probably add just about anything and it would be good. Using low-fat ingredients doesn't seem to change the outcome. I don't usually measure the cheeses. I use what "looks" right.
Top Review by Shar w
This as awesome lasagna! I first made this about 2 1/2 years ago and have passed it on to family because they thought it was great too. I did make a few changes. First I'm famous for not really measuring when I make something like this but I usually do well just eye-balling. I used boneless chicken breasts that I sauteed with the mushrooms, used a store bought "fresh" roasted red pepper & tomato sauce instead of the crushed tomatoes and just added fresh basil and more cheese like the recipe mentions . I am sure the recipe would be great either way. Great change from regular lasagna that freezes really well! yum yum!!
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, left-over roasted chicken is perfect
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 10 ounces canned chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Start a pot of water for boiling the noodles. Boil noodles according to package directions, drain, rinse with cool water to keep them from sticking together while preparing sauces.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Saute' onions until transparent.
- Add mushrooms, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, crushed red pepper. Cook until mushrooms begin to give off their juice.
- Blend tomatoes in blender or food processor. Add to mushrooms.
- Stir in chicken.
- Keep warm over low heat while making the cream sauce.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour, cooking and stirring for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add broth, stirring until thickened.
- Stir in half-and-half over low heat.
- Spoon small amount of cream sauce in the bottom of a lasagne pan.
- Place 3 cooked noodles in pan.
- Add 1/3 of meat mixture and 1/3 of cream sauce. Top with 1/3 of mozzarella and ricotta.
- Repeat layers 2 more times.
- Top with Parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degress for 20 - 25 minutes or until nice and bubbly.
- Let stand at least 10 minutes before cutting.