Recipe by Hey Jude
This is a hearty, meal in a bowl, good for cold days chowder. Serve it with crusty bread for a complete meal. It looks like a lot of ingredients but this is actually after-work friendly. Recipe adapted from Chicago Tribune's Good Eating section
Top Review by Barb G.
This is a Delicious, Hearty Chowder. Great on a cold, rainy winter evening. I made it just like the recipe stated,used frozen white corn instead of corn on cob,It was done about 1 hour before dinner this gave it time for flavors to blend, served it with crusty French bread and a side salad,Yummy. We really enjoyed this chowder. Thank you Judy for posting the recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- boiling water
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 skinless chicken breast half, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled if you wish and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ears sweet corn, kernels sliced off
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover mushrooms with boiling water and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Cook bacon in a dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes; crumble into pieces and set aside.
- Add onions to dutch oven, cook until softened, about 3 minutes; add garlic, cook 1 minute; add chicken and cook, stirring often, until it turns white, about 4 minutes; add potatoes, corn, broth and tomatoes, cook 4 more minutes.
- Slice spinach leaves into thin strips; add spinach, bay leaf, thyme, herbs de Provence, salt, pepper flakes, allspice and black pepper to chowder; drain mushrooms and add to the pot.
- Increase heat to medium-high; cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes; adjust seasoning, stir in parsley and cilantro into chowder.
- Garnish with bacon.