Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This chicken bake is unusual in that it does not contain pasta or cream. It is very tasty!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (I use inexpensive extra virgin olive oil from Spain)
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups ketchup (I recommend Heinz)
- 2 cups chicken broth (I recommend Swanson's)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cubed chicken in a baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, saute onion, bell peppers, garlic, and mushrooms in olive oil until golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine ketchup, chicken broth, worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Pour this ketchup mixture over the sauteed vegetables in the skillet.
- Bring the vegetable mixture to a boil, then pour mixture over the chicken.
- Place chicken dish in the oven and bake 1 and 1/2 hours (or until chicken is no longer pink inside and juices run clear).
- This is best when served over rice.
The chicken was overcooked and dry. There is no way that boneless breasts, especially cubed, need to be cooked for 1 1/2 hours. This dish is very spicy (one-dimensionally so, from the black pepper). The sauce is quite runny, and the suggested rice is essential. It should probably be a formal ingredient. Even better, add it to the casserole and cook just long enough for the rice to cook. I served this (with a slotted spoon) with Recipe #162873 and boxed au gratin potatoes.
This dish was delicious! I didn't have any onions so I just used minced dried onion instead and also did not use a whole tablespoon of the blk pepper. We had it with whole grain brown rice the 1st night and bow tie pasta the next night, I would have to agree with the writer, it was better over the rice.
My Husband and I absolutely loved this meal. Will defiantly be making it again. Thanks for the recipe.