1 hr 15 mins
This is similar to shepherd's pie, but is made with chicken instead of lamb or beef. It's kind of a cross between a chicken pot pie and a shepherd's pie. You will need 3 cups of béchamel sauce for this recipe. I use Sauce Béchamel for this. For the chicken, I usually buy a rotisserie chicken and chop the breast and thigh meat. I use frozen peas and cook them in the microwave for half the recommended time before adding them to the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 idaho potatoes, scrubbed well
- 5 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 3 cups bechamel sauce
- 1 tablespoon mccormick chicken base
- 1Preheat the oven to 350Ëš F.
- 2Make the garlic mashed potatoes: cut each potato into 16 pieces (I leave the peels on, but you can peel them if you like). Place them in a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Boil, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Drain well and return to the saucepan you cooked them inches Toss the potatoes over medium heat for a minute. This is to evaporate any excess moisture.
- 3Meanwhile, prepare the garlic: in a small covered saucepan, heat the garlic cloves with the butter and cook over lowest heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until very tender. They should not color more than a creamy yellow. Pour 1/2 cup of cream in with the garlic and butter, add a good pinch of salt and pepper, and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- 4Add the garlic and cream, and the cream cheese to the potatoes and mash well with a potato masher. Taste and add salt as needed. Set aside.
- 5In a large skillet, sauté the celery, carrot, and onion in the 1 tablespoon of butter for 10 minutes over medium heat. In a large bowl, combine the sautéed vegetables, the peas, and the chicken.
- 6Add the McCormick chicken base to the béchamel sauce, and stir well to combine. Add the sauce to the chicken and vegetables and mix well to combine.
- 7Grease a 3 quart pyrex baking dish. Pour the chicken mixture into the dish, and cover it with the garlic mashed potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350ËšF for 45 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Mashed Potato Pie
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.6
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 58.2 mg
- Sodium 107.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 13.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: