Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A quick and easy, reasonably low fat fried rice made with mandarin segments and macadamia nuts. Adapted from Rodale's "Terrific Chicken: 100 Great Meals in Minutes".
- 236.59 ml basmati rice, cooked
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 709.77 ml cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and broken into segments
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 118.29 ml macadamia nuts, salted, dry-roasted, coarsely chopped
- 29.58 ml reduced sodium soy sauce
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook rice according to the packet directions and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wok or a large sauté pan over a medium-high heat.
- Add the eggs and stir-fry for 3 minutes, or until the eggs have set. Transfer to a small dish and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the wok or sauté pan, and add the chicken, mandarin segments, green onions, macadamia nuts, soy sauce and rice.
- Stir-fry for 4 minutes, stirring, or until mixed well and heated through.
- Add the eggs to the wok or sauté pan.
- Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir fry for 1 further minute.
- Serve over cooked basmati rice with your favourite salad.
Great recipe! I loved the tropical flair from the mandarin oranges and macadamia nuts. I also found it easy to prepare everything but the rice for use over some shredded cooked daikon radish for our lower-carb eaters. Both ways were excellent. I did use jasmine rice, as that is what I usually have. Thanks for sharing!
Fabulous recipe. Love the macadamia nuts in this recipe. Nice change from cashews or almonds which I usually use in fried rice. Used leftover chicken and canned manderine oranges, so this went together in a snap. Thanks bluemoon!
So delicious and easy, I made sure that the little I had left over came with me for lunch today! I didn't have mandarins, so I segmented an orange instead, but I must go and get some mandarins! I served this with Cinnamon Glazed Carrots, for a delicious meal, bright colours and wonderfully complimentary flavours! Thanks, bluemoon!