Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- 1 leek, halved and thinly sliced, white part only
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup red lentil, washed and picked over
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 1 (400 g) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken breasts and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Remove to a plate, allow to cool for 5 minutes then shred.
- Heat the remaining oil in the saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the leek and garlic and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the celery and carrot and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lentil and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until the vegetables and lentils are tender.
- Stir in the chicken and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a dollop of yoghurt or parmesan cheese.
Very nice complementary ingredients. I didn't think I would like the tomatoes in here, but they did work well. Mostly added color.