Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From a friend whom makes fabulous soups.
- 16 cups water
- 1 large cut-up chicken or 1 large chicken piece
- 2 onions, unpeeled
- 4 parsnips, peeled and left whole
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery leaves, plus
- 2 stalks celery, and their leaves
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and quartered
- 1 large turnip, peeled and quartered
- 1 potato, peeled and quartered
- 6 carrots, peeled and left whole
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 zucchini
- Put the water and the chicken in a large pot and bring the water to a boil. Skim off the muck.
- Add vegetables except zucchini, the parsley, 4 tablespoons of the dill, and the salt and pepper. Cover and simmer of 2 1/2 hours, adjusting the seasoning to taste.
- Strain, remove the chicken, discard the vegetables and refrigerate the liquid to solidify. Refrigerate. Remove the fat from the soup.
- Just before serving, reheat the soup. Bring to a boil. Cut the zucchini into thin strips and add to the soup.
- Simmer about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked, but still firm. Serve with the remaining snipped dill.