Recipe by Tish
This is a great make ahead casserole for a potluck or family meal. Found it in Cooking Light
- 1 (7 ounce) package spaghetti, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded roasted skinless chicken breast halves (about 5 oz.)
- 7⁄8 cup lean ham, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 can low fat reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook spaghetti according to directions, omitting salt and fat; drain well.
- Rinse under cold running water; drain well and set aside Melt margarine in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and next 3 ingredients saute 4 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour, poultry seasoning, and 1/2 tsp pepper; cook, stirring constantly 30 seconds.
- Gradually add milk, and cook stirring constatntly, 1 1/2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Add chicken, ham 1/3 cup parmesan, and next 3 ingredients, stirring well Combine spaghetti and chicken mixture in a large bowl, stir well.
- Spoon mixture into 13X9X2 baking dish coated with cooking spray Combine remaining 1/3 cup parmesan cheese and paprika and stir well.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese mixture, remaining 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, and almonds in alternating diagonal rows across top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- *Noteif you want to set this up to 4 hours ahead, just omit cheese almond topping; cover and chill.
- Add topping just before baking.