Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by Mirj
Yummy! I totally left out the ham and substituted some good pastrami instead. I used 1/2 pound navy beans and 1/2 pound chick peas. This is very similar to the Jewish hamin or cholent, and like those dishes I placed all the ingredients in the slow cooker late Friday afternoon and cooked it on low until we were ready for lunch around noontime Saturday. The aroma of the pastrami mixed with the molasses and brown sugar pervading the house all Friday night while we slept gave us amazingly sweet dreams!
- 1 lb dried navy beans, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 ounces cooked ham, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses