Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Typical dish in Papua New Guinea. Submitted for ZWT7.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs greens (spinach, bok choy, watercress, etc.)
- 1 medium size squash (such as butternut)
- salt & pepper
- Remove the skin from the chicken and lightly brown in the oil with 1 clove of the garlic.
- Add 1/2 cup or so of the coconut milk, the ginger, and the remaining garlic. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Skin and cut the squash into cubes. Add to chicken. Simmer for about 15 more minutes.
- Add the greens and let simmer for about 5-10 more minutes, depending on which green you use.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Serve over rice.
I loved the subtle creaminess from the coconut milk (I may have used a little more than was called for). I used a combination of spinach and bok choy and frozen squash. Since the squash was frozen I cut down on the cooking time and the bok choy still had some bite to it which I enjoyed. I seasoned it with kosher salt and a little homemade cayenne pepper for a teensy bit of heat. Made for ZWT 7.