Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from a friend of mine who was born in Peru. It's a wonderful tomato based sauce with spices and green olives, with chunks of chicken served over white rice. The native recipe calls for potatoes in the sauce, but I leave them out. It also calls for chicken thighs, but I prefer boneless, skinless breasts. Please don't be tempted to leave out the white wine, the combination of the wine with the olive juice makes the sauce so amazing. I usually double the sauce so I have extra to eat over rice.
- Saute the chicken pieces in the olive oil.
- If using thighs, leave whole, if using breasts, cut in half.
- Remove the chicken, and saute the onion and garlic until soft.
- In a stock pot, add the chicken, onions and garlic, tarragon, marjoram, tomato sauce, white wine and salt and pepper.
- Add the olives, and half the olive juice, discard the other half.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over steamed white rice.