Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Southern Living; kid favorite
Top Review by eHelen
This made a nice casserole. I used spinach noodles, that were quite wide and 12 oz. instead of the 10 oz. package. Next time I will increase the soup to 2 cans or go with a thinner noodle. It smells fabulous while cooking. Made a lovely candlelight meal surprising my husband after his afternoon golf! Thanks for posting.
- 3 -4 chicken breast halves
- 1 (10 ounce) packagegreen noodles
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, shredded
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup crushed cheese nips
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chicken in salted water for 25-30 minutes or until tender; Remove chicken and reserve stock.
- Cut chicken meat into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Cook noodles in stock until tender; drain and set aside.
- Saute green pepper, onion, and celery in 1/4 cup butter until tender.
- Add cheese; cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.
- Stir in soup and mushrooms; cook until bubbly.
- Add chicken and noodles; mix well.
- Spoon into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup butter and cracker crumbs.
- Sprinkle over the chicken mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes.