Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
Southern Living; kid favorite
- 3 -4 chicken breast halves
- 1 (10 ounce) packagegreen noodles
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, shredded
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup crushed cheese nips
- Cook chicken in salted water for 25-30 minutes or until tender; Remove chicken and reserve stock.
- Cut chicken meat into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Cook noodles in stock until tender; drain and set aside.
- Saute green pepper, onion, and celery in 1/4 cup butter until tender.
- Add cheese; cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.
- Stir in soup and mushrooms; cook until bubbly.
- Add chicken and noodles; mix well.
- Spoon into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup butter and cracker crumbs.
- Sprinkle over the chicken mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
This made a nice casserole. I used spinach noodles, that were quite wide and 12 oz. instead of the 10 oz. package. Next time I will increase the soup to 2 cans or go with a thinner noodle. It smells fabulous while cooking. Made a lovely candlelight meal surprising my husband after his afternoon golf! Thanks for posting.
Made this one for my family the other night. It was a very good casserole that made a tasty week-night meal. The green color of the noodles and the orange color of the Cheez Nips looked kind of funky and the kids liked that. Has all the usual components of a good casserole--cheese, cream, noodles, and chicken. Very yummy.