Recipe by Tish
This is a wonderful Southern brunch. Great served in the summer months with chilled fresh fruit and autumn and winter with jellies an preserves with an extra pan of hot biscuits!
Top Review by luvcook'n
This is really wonderful! I made as directed with a couple of changes due to what was on hand. I had a piece of slab smoked bacon and sliced 1/2" thick and broiled it in the oven then sliced it to put with the chicken. I only had chicken thighs...so I skinned and de-boned them and continued with the recipe. I made my sister's southern buttermilk biscuits to put on top. I did find it a wee bit bland, but that might just be me. Thank you for sharing this recipe that I will make again.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 to 2 1/2 lb)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 slices smoked bacon, cut into 1/4 " pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 1/3 ounce) package buttermilk biscuits or 10 bisquick drop biscuits
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with the water
- frozen mixed vegetables (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with the tsp of salt.
- Dust lightly with half the flour.
- Brush off the excess.
- Heat the oil in a deep, wide heavy bottomed skillet and sauté the bacon just until the pieces begin to blanch on the edges.
- Remove them and brown the chicken slowly and well on all sides until done.
- Remove the pieces.
- Discard all but 2 Tbs of the fat.
- With 3 Tbs of the flour, make a roux.
- Add the milk and stock and deglaze the pan.
- Add the pepper and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Salt to taste.
- The gravy should not be thicker than heavy cream.
- Add more milk if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the chicken and bacon in a deep oven to table dish and cover with the gravy, this is when you would add the frozen veggies if you want them and cover them with the gravy Dip one side of each biscuit in the egg wash and cover the surface of the dish completely with the biscuits.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Serve very hot.