This was a dish prepared at a Thai cooking class I attended. It was made by a native Thai woman who learned to cook at her mother's apron strings. It has a wonderful taste, which can be adjusted by the amount of the ingredients added. Vegetables, such as broccoli and yellow onions, can easily be substituted for the chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced into 1 inch pieces (or may use galangal)
- 1 (2 cup) can coconut milk, divided (labeled for cooking, not dessert)
- 1 (50 g) packet tom kha paste
- 2 -3 boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2 -4 tablespoons fish sauce, to taste
- 1 teaspoon soft brown sugar
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup water, as needed
- 4 -8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 5 chili peppers, to taste
- fresh cilantro
- 1Combine lemon grass, 1/2 can (1 C) of coconut milk and Tom Ka Paste in a medium pan and bring to a boil.
- 2Continue to simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for a couple minutes.
- 3Add the fish sauce, brown sugar and chicken and simmer until chicken is cooked.
- 4Add tomatoes and remaining coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- 5Add water, as needed, for desired consistency and taste and bring to a boil.
- 6Add mushrooms and cook until desired consistency.
- 7Add brown sugar, fish sauce or chilies, as necessary, to adjust taste.
- 8Turn off heat, add cilantro and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Galangal Soup (Tom-Ka-Gai)
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.7
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 23.3 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 776.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 20.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tom kha paste