Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Tasty chicken casserole that is always well received, serve with rice or pasta.
- 2 kg chicken pieces
- 29.58 ml plain flour
- 1 packet French onion soup mix
- 30 g butter
- 29.58 ml oil
- 3 slice bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 236.59 ml water
- 29.58 ml sour cream
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- Combine chicken pieces with flour and dry soup mix in plastic bag, toss to coat chicken.
- (Reserve excess flour mixture).
- Heat butter and oil in a heavy pan, add chicken in single layer.
- Cook chicken turning often until browned all over.
- Remove chicken from dish, add bacon and onions, stir constantly over heat for about 3 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Place this mixture plus chicken into ovenproof dish with blended reserved flour and water, cover.
- Bake in moderate oven for about 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Stir in sour cream and parsley just before serving.
This is a really good tasting recipe. I tweeked it a little and used chicken broth instead of water and added a handful of frozen potato gnocchi to the bottom of the casserole dish. Excellent results. The starch from the potato resulted in a creamy gravy. Thanks for posting.This is a definate keeper.
This is to die for. We devoured this tasty comfort food. I made it using 4 chicken thighs and followed the recipe. This is a great dish to make for company served it with a side salad and stuffed zucchini. I will be making this again and soon, Thank you Sueie.
O.K......First of all, I was thrilled to see that my production looked exactly like the picture! How cool is that? Then what I suspected might be the case, was in fact the way it was....i.e. way too salty! But that was the onion soup. So.....i think the next time I make it (and I will make it again) I would cut back to 1/2 a pck. I also added twice the sour cream. I think some mushrooms might be nice added to it too. This time I served it with brown basmati rice and fresh broccoli. It is a keeper recipe....thanks Sueie.