Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by Kristi Waterworth
This has got to be the most delicious chicken salad I have put in my mouth. Couldn't find Hazelnuts, so I subbed Macadamias (since I had a bag) and didn't bother to toast the powdered spices, either. We had this Saturday and I'm still thinking about how good it was this Monday AM (and wishing there had been leftovers!!) Fan-freaking-tastic!!!
- 4 teaspoons curry powder, preferably Madras-style
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large eggs, hard-cooked, peeled, and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup diced peeled crisp apple
- 1⁄2 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1⁄2 cup toasted skinned coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- salad greens (preferably Boston or Bibb lettuce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the curry powder and cumin into a small dry skillet; heat over low heat until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl, add in mayonnaise and cayenne; stir until blended.
- In a big bowl, combine the chicken, egg, apple, onion, and currants; gently fold in the mayonnaise mixture.
- Sprinkle the hazelnuts over the top of the salad and stir just once.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled on salad greens.